Friday, August 26, 2005

A new beginning

This is my second attempt at blog writing. I didn't really get into it the first time and wrote only a couple mediocre posts at irregular intervals. I guess I just didn't really believe that I had that much to say, or that what I did have to say wasn't that interesting to the outside reader. But now, I feel like my life is headed into a relatively new direction and now maybe (just maybe!) I'll be interesting enough to share my life with you. Well, at least I'll find myself interesting enough to share with you! :) So here goes nothing.

The most exciting news in my life right now is that I've finally made some concrete steps toward buying myself a condo. I went to a first-time home buyers' seminar a month or two ago and got some really great information, but didn't really do anything with it because, quite honestly, I was scared shitless. Buying property of any kind is a really giant decision with some pretty scary consequences if you screw it up. I didn't know if I'd be able to handle the financial aspect of it, and frankly part of me just wanted to stay as far away from being a grown-up as I could. However, in the past month or so I've been leaning more toward finally just jumping into it mostly because I just cannot handle sleeping at home anymore. I'm pretty lucky because I don't really mind living with my parents at all. They're relatively laid-back people and let me come and go as I please. They are even fine with letting the BF stay over whenever he wants. However, I have three younger sisters, one of whom has an eighteen-month old daughter. My niece is a total doll and I love her to death, but she has a problem with sleeping through the night - she doesn't. More often times than not, she's up at 3 or 4 o'clock in the morning screaming. I realize that that's just part of being a baby, but because she's not actually my baby and I have to get up early in the morning for work, it's a pretty big pain in the ass. I decided that I finally just needed to get my own space. Because I live in one of the most expensive areas in the country, though, I figured renting would just be a big, fat, nasty waste of money so why not just go ahead and buy? So tada! That's what I'm doing. I'll most likely end up in a small one bedroom condo in a slightly-lower-than-average neighborhood, but hey, you gotta start somewhere right?

On a totally unrelated note, something really interesting happened to me a couple weeks ago and I wanted to post it here, mostly so I would never forget it. I was walking down the hallway at work kind of staring at the floor in front of me, minding my own business when I glanced up and made eye contact with a guy walking toward me on the other side of the hall. I did what you normally do in that situation and said a quick, awkward hi then just as quickly averted my eyes and kept on walking. Now here's where the interesting part comes in... this guy responded with a "hi" but cut himself off with "wow." Now, there was no one around us and there was nothing to "wow" about in the beige, empty hallway so I assume he was wow-ing at me. After he walked past me, I glanced back but he seemed to be beating a hasty retreat around the corner. If he was wow-ing at me (and I say "if" because he really could have been amazed by the cube walls he was nearing) that's a pretty awesome thing, is it not? It was the first and only time I elicited that kind of response out of anyone beside the BF - and he's sort of required to do that. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home