Saturday, August 27, 2005

Afternoon Delight

Today really could not have been a more perfect late summer day. I spent last night at the BFs and I woke him up this morning around 930ish. He wasn't too happy about the relatively early hour, but he got to sleep in a few mornings this week so I didn't allow him to be too cranky. We walked down the street to have breakfast at this diner located right on the beach. We got a table right next to a window facing the water, so it was a beautiful way to start our day. After we finished eating our omelettes, we went to Beardsley Zoo. Compared to the more famous zoos in the area (like the Bronx Zoo or isn't there a zoo in D.C.?) the Beardsley Zoo isn't really that great. It's in the middle of a park in Bridgeport. It's pretty small with a limited number of animals. I felt bad for the wolves; their enclosures were all smaller than my backyard. But I wanted to go for one reason - well, three reasons - tiger cubs!!
There is a billboard next to the highway advertising the newborn cubs who were born in April and the picture they have displayed is just painfully adorable. So I decided yesterday that since we had the time today, I was going to drag the BF to see them. He did his best to play the tough guy and complain about it, but I could tell he was excited. The tiger cage was one of the first large exhibits in the park and I literally skipped toward it like a little girl when I saw it. The cubs were bigger than I expected, but then again, they are four months old and I remember how fast my kitten grew when we first got her, so I shouldn't have been too surprised. We did get pretty lucky, though. There was a sign warning visitors that the tiger and her three cubs are sometimes kept inside to rest so they may not be visible, but they were out and about today and the cubs were very frisky! They kept pouncing on one another and wrestling and bothering their mother - it was so cute! We stood at the cage for quite a while and the BF was enjoying watching them just as much as I was.
The rest of the zoo was very nice and it really was the perfect day to walk around. We took our time, watched a zoo volunteer feed some otters, watched another guy feed fetal mice to a garter snake and salads topped with squirmy grubs to the turtles. All in all I had a very relaxing and interesting time. I love stuff like that.
After the zoo, we had lunch at a great restaurant near the BFs house. Again, we got a table facing the water and the view was gorgeous. We were both a little beat from walking around so much, so we went back to his house afterward and took it easy before he had to go to work.
I saw a great friend this evening after I got home and we had some time to catch up - so that wrapped up my day very nicely.
I really can't think of anything I love better than a day complete with interesting adventure, good friends, beautiful weather and being with the one you love. Tomorrow should be just as wonderful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home